Monday, October 24, 2011

Pumpkin Pie Disaster, and Half a Weekend Recap

My pumpkin pie from last week was an absolute flop - it defined flop, it was so awful. I could tell before I even baked it that it would be subpar; it didn't set up, it tasted weird, and it's ultimately my fault for Frankensteining several recipes together. I learned my lesson.

This weekend was fortunately full of much more successful recipes!

These spiced flax balls from Healthful Pursuit are easy, nutritious, and great for taking along to class. I brought three today for my post-work snack. The spices are marvelous with the nuts and dates, and they are very healthy, especially for workouts.

I made Swell's coconut milk scones with apricots, and they are quite good. Next time I'll use currants and a full 1/2 cup of sugar to sweeten them up a bit more, but the "healthy" taste is great for a toothsome morning snack with melted Earth Balance, coffee or cocoa. It also gave me a great excuse to plug in the toaster oven, since microwaving pastries makes me sad. :(

I had to use up some spinach on Saturday evening, so I pan-fried butter beans, spinach, and chopped garlic with EVOO, salt, pepper, fresh rosemary, and garlic Tabasco sauce. Yum! I'm trying to eat much less bread and the thick, bready texture of butter beans is delicious. I tossed the leftover beans in a tofu scramble the next morning, but I like it better with just spinach and garlic.



Stay tuned for more updates, because Sunday night's dinner and drinks were AMAZING!

No comments:

Post a Comment